EFORT Congress Lisbon 2019 | Scientific Awards Winners
The 40 best-rated free papers, 20 each in orthopaedics and trauma, were given the option of competing for the EFORT Free Paper Award. Among all submitted presentations, the EFORT Award Committee has chosen the winners in each of the two categories. Winners also receive a financial reward (gold: EUR 1,500; silver: EUR 1,000; bronze: EUR 500).
The 20th EFORT Annual Congress Lisbon 2019 winners are as follows:
EFORT FREE PAPERS AWARDS - ORTHOPAEDICS
GOLD Orthopaedics Abstract:
- Five-year results of a randommised trial of robotic arm assisted vs. manual unicompartmental knee arthroplasty | EFORT eScience Audio Presentation available soon
Author(s): Matthew Banger (1), Mark Blyth (2), Bryn Jones (2), Angus MacLean (2), Philip Rowe (1) | 1. University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, United Kingdom | 2. Glasgow Royal Infirmary, Glasgow, United Kingdom
SILVER Orthopaedics Abstract:
- Vitamin E Diffused THA Liners Show Less Head Penetration After 5 Years Postoperatively Compared To HXLPE In A Randomized Controlled Trial | EFORT eScience Audio Presentation available soon
Author(s): Kristian Kjærgaard (1), Ming Ding (1), Carsten Jensen (2), Charles Bragdon (3), Henrik Malchau (3), Christina M. Andreasen (4), Ole Ovesen (4), Christian Hofbauer (5), Søren Overgaard (4) | 1. Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Odense University Hospital, Department of Clinical Research, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark | 2. Institute of Regional Health Research, University of Southern Denmark, Odense, Denmark | 3. Harris Orthopaedic Laboratory, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, United States | 4. Orthopaedic Research Laboratory, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology, Odense University Hospital, Department of Clinical Research, University of Southern Denmark, Odense C, Denmark | 5. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Vejle Hospital, Vejle, Denmark
BRONZE Orthopaedics Abstract:
- Regional Differences Between The United States, Scandinavia, And South Korea In Patient Selection And Early To Mid-Term Clinical Outcomes In Patients Undergoing Primary Total Knee Arthroplasty | EFORT eScience Audio Presentation available soon
Author(s): Nicholas Sauder (1), Vincent Galea (1), Yhan Colon Iban (1), Isabella Florissi (1), Christian Skovgaard Nielsen (2), Andreas Kappel (1), Charles Bragdon (1), Henrik Malchau (1), Anders Troelsen (2) | 1. Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, United States | 2. Copenhagen University Hospital, Copenhagen, Denmark | 3. Aalborg University Hospital, Aalborg, Denmark
EFORT FREE PAPERS AWARDS - TRAUMA
GOLD Trauma Abstract:
- Does Surgical Approach Influence The Outcomes Following Total Hip Arthroplasty Performed For Displaced Intracapsular Hip Fractures? An Analysis From The National Joint Registry For England And Wales | EFORT eScience Audio Presentation available soon
Author(s): Michael Whitehouse (1), Gulraj Matharu (1), Andrew Judge (1), Kevin Deere (1), Ashley Blom (1), Mike Reed (2) | 1. University of Bristol, Bristol, United Kingdom | 2. Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust, Northumberland, United Kingdom
SILVER Trauma Abstract:
- Surgical Treatment Of Wrist Fractures- External Fixation Or Volar Locked Plating? A Randomized Controlled Trial | EFORT eScience Audio Presentation available soon
Author(s): Trine Ludvigsen (1), Jonas M Fevang (2), Kjell Matre (2), Rakel Sif Gudmundsdottir (2), Yngvar Krukhaug (2), Eva Dybvik (3) | 1. Orthopaedic department, Voss hospital, Voss, Norway | 2. Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway | 3. Norwegian National Advisory Unit on Arthroplasty and Hip Fractures, Bergen, Norway
BRONZE Trauma Abstract:
- Platelet Rich Plasma For Acute Achilles Tendon Rupture: Results Of The PATH-2 Study, A Double-Blind, Multicentre, Randomised, Placebo-Controlled Trial | EFORT eScience Audio Presentation available soon
Author(s): Joseph Alsousou (2), David Keene (1), Paul Harrison (3), Philippa Hulley (4), Susan Wagland (4), Scott Parsons (4), Jacqueline Thompson (4), Heather O'Connor (4), Michael Schlüssel (4), Susan Dutton (4), Sarah Lamb (4), Keith Willett (4) | 1. University of Oxford, Oxford, United States | 2. University of Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom | 3. University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom | 4. University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
The 10 best-rated poster abstracts submitted to the EFORT Congress receive the Jacques Duparc Award, which includes a grant of EUR 500 and a certificate to acknowledge the work.
The 20th EFORT Annual Congress Lisbon 2019 winners are as follows:
- Endochondral Bone Regeneration Using Chondrogenically Differentiated Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells.
Author(s): Sang Yang Lee (1), MIchio Arakura (2), Tomoaki Fukui (2), Ryosuke Kuroda (2), Takahiro Niikura (2) | 1. Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Showa University Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan | 2. Departmrnt of Orthopaedic Surgery, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe, Japan
- 1-Year Evaluation Of The Uncemented Echo Bi-Metric THA Stem Versus The Uncemented Bi-Metric Porous Primary THA Stem In A Randomized Controlled Trial Using RSA.
Author(s): Karen Dyreborg (1), Gunnar Flivik (2), Mikkel Rathsach Andersen (1), Nikolaj Winther (1), Søren Solgaard (3), Michael Mørk Petersen (1) | 1. Rigshospitalet, København Ø, Denmark | 2. Skånes Universitetssjukhus, Lund, Sweden | 3. Herlev Gentofte Hospital, Hellerup, Denmark
- Impact Of Early Administration Of Celecoxib On Postoperative Pain, Range Of Motion And Sleep Quality In Patients Undergoing Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
Author: Takeo Mammoto | Mitoyodo General Hospital, Mito, Japan
- ADAPT Navigation System Improves Tip-Apex Distance During Gamma Nailing Of Intertrochanteric Fractures: Results Of A Monocentric Randomized Controlled Trial.
Author(s): Fabian Sommer (2), Eduardo Suero (1), Christopher Becker (2), Oliver Pieske (3), Axel Greiner (2), Christian Kammerlander (1), Wolfgang Boecker (2), Stefan Grote (4) | 1. Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Munich, Germany | 2. Klinikum Grosshadern, Munich, Germany | 3. Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich, Oldenburg, Germany | 4. Klinik für Unfallchirurgie, Munich, Germany
- Is Adding "Internal Rotation" Necessary To The Rotational Acetabular Osteotomy?
Author(s): Daisuke Suzuki (1), Arata Kanaizumi (2), Satoshi Nagoya (2), Fumiya Kizawa (3), Toshihiko Yamashita (2) | 1. Hokkaido Chitose Collage of Rehabilitation, Chitose, Japan | 2. Sapporo Medical University, Sapporo, Japan | 3. Hokkaido University Hospital, Sapporo, Japan
- Effects Of Intravenous Zoledronic Acid Plus Subcutaneous Teriparatide In Postmenopausal Osteoporosis.
Author(s): Christiana Zidrou (1), Paschalis Tsioulas (1), Alexandra Fleva (2), Anastasios Beletsiotis (1) | 1. 2nd Orthopaedic Department, G.Papageorgiou General Hospital, Thessaloniki, Greece | 2. Immunolgy- Histocompatibility Departement, Flow Cytometry Laboratory, Thessaloniki, Greece
- Female Patients Of Different Genotypes From A118G Polymorphism In OPRM1 Gene Caused Significant Difference Of Morphine Consumption For Postoperative Pain Control After Total Knee Replacement.
Author: Chien-Jen Hsu | Kaohsiung Veterans General Hospital, Kaohsiung, Taiwan
- Biomechanical Effect Of Additional Medial Plate Fixation In Lateral Locked Plating For Complex Distal Femur Fracture.
Author(s): Kyeong-Hyeon Park Park, Chang-Wug Oh, Joon-Woo Kim, Il Seo, Young-Soo Jung | Kyungpook national university hospital, Daegu, South Korea
- Bi-Cruciate Retaining Total Knee Arthroplasty Does Not Restore Native Knee In-Vivo Kinematics During Strenuous Activities.
Author(s): Christian Klemt, Miang Han Lincoln Liow, Paul Arauz, Yun Peng, Guoan Li, Young-Min Kwon | Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, United States
- A retrospective 2-Year Review Of The Outcomes Of Surgical Rib Fixation Following Chest Wall Injury By The Multi-Disciplinary Chest Wall Injury Group In A Major Trauma Centre And The Change In Outcomes As The Service Has Developed.
Author(s): Abbas Shahid (1), Thomas Turner (1), Kieran Bowdren (2), Jill Rutherford-Davies (2) | 1. University of Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom | 2. Salford Royal Foundation Trust, Manchester, United Kingdom
With the Michael Freeman Award, EFORT recognizes an outstanding scientific contribution made to the EFORT Congress. This year’s award is related to knee biomechanics, kindly supported by Medacta International SA. The award comes with a financial reward of EUR 3,000.
The 20th EFORT Annual Congress Lisbon 2019 winner is:
- 3D Spatiotemporal Parameters Of Gait In Individuals With Osteoarthritis Of The Knee Submitted To Treatment With Intra-Articular Viscosupplementation: A Prospective Double-Blinded Randomized Controlled Trial | EFORT eScience Audio Presentation available soon
Author(s): Leonardo Metsavaht (1), Gustavo Leporace (1), Bernardo Crespo (1), Raphael Serra Cruz (1), Gabriel Zeitoune (1), Marcelo Motta (2), Felipe Gonzalez (2), Marcelo Kubota (3), Marcus Luzo (3) | 1. Instituto Brasil de Tecnologias da Saude, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil | 2. Hospital da Força Aérea do Galeão, Rio De Janeiro, Brazil | 3. DOT - EPM - Universidade Federal de São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
The EFORT Congress Scientific Awards
A congress is always as good as its presentations are. In this regard the EFORT congress can ever rely on the experts all over Europe and even worldwide.
The EFORT Congress Scientific Awards are selected among the many high-quality abstracts submitted to the congress. Among the traditional Free Paper and Jacques Duparc (poster) Awards, in 2018 EFORT introduced the Michael Freeman Award. The latter was created in memory of Professor Michael Freeman, one of the founding fathers of EFORT and EFORT President 1994 to 1995, to honor his lifetime contribution to both the European and the International Orthopaedic Community after he passed away in September 2017.